Former Griffin Alex Mallari, who helped lead Los Al to a couple Sunset League championships, was the third overall pick in the draft for the Phillipines Professional Basketball League and has been seeing 10-15 minutes a game so far into the season.
Mallari, who played his college ball at Fullerton JC, Cal State East Bay and then one year at Lewis-Clark State in Idaho was picked by the Petron Blaze Boosters in the selection which was held August 19, at the Robinson’s Place Midtown Mall in Ermita, Manila. Mallari had sat out a couple years before deciding to go to the Philippines. He played last season in the nation’s D-League and helped lead the Big Chill to the title, earning a lot of fans and attention in the process.
He is the son of Val and Dana Mallari who live in Los Alamitos.
Petron Blaze (known as the San Miguel Beermen for most of its existence) has been a member of the Philippine Basketball Association since its inception in 1975 and has won the most PBA titles with 19 — despite the league being down for a few years due to a revolution or two. The team is owned by the Petron Corporation, a subsidiary of the Philippines’ largest food and beverage conglomerate, San Miguel Corporation. Petron is one of three PBA ball clubs owned by SMC affiliates and subsidiaries.
Here is the first round draft.:
1. Petron Blaze Boosters – Junmar Fajardo
2. Alaska Aces – Calvin Abueva
3. Petron Blaze Boosters – Alex Mallari
4. Meralco Bolts – Clifford Hodge
5. Barako Bull – Aldrech Ramos
6. Ginebra San Miguel – Chris Ellis
7. Rain or Shine – Chris Tiu
8. Ginebra San Miguel – Keith Jensen
9. B-Meg trades pick along with Val Acuna for forward Sean Anthony; Global port selects Vic Manuel
10. GlobalPort – Jason Deutchmann
- Player page – PBA Online
- Big Chill Fil-Ams Mallari, Jensen lead early entrants into Filipino draft- June 18, 2012 - Interaksyon.com/li>
- Big Chill Main Man Alex Mallari has his eyes on the prize — March 28, 2012, InterAKsyon.com